In case you didn’t get the memo, Saturday night we started Daylight Savings Time. And according to the adage, “spring ahead, fall back,” we’ve all lost an hour of precious sleep. I bet that this morning, Monday, felt even more like Monday than usual.
This bright and refreshing peach ginger smoothie can help to clear away your case of the (sleep-deprived) Mondays, or any feeling of sluggishness not caused by an arbitrary change in the hour. The sweetness of the peaches and banana here are perfectly balanced by the spicy basil, turmeric, ginger (tip: freezing ginger root makes grating it super-easy and mess-free, and keeps the ginger itself crisper, rather than liquidy or mushy, in the smoothie), and citrus zest. Hemp seeds, maca, and almond butter and milk add a hearty but not heavy boost of protein, even as the turmeric acts as an anti-inflammatory and detoxifier (read: no more under-eye bags).
So even if it’s still coat-and-scarf weather where you are as we groggily change our clocks to “start” spring, this smoothie will remind you of the brighter, warmer, and ultimately longer days just around the corner–or even the one that’s just begun!
Peach Ginger Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen peaches cut in chunks
- 1 small banana or 1/2 large
- 1 tablespoon grated frozen ginger root
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 tablesoon grapefruit zest
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves whole or coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon raw sweetener of your choice if desired
- 1 teaspoon almond butter
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy. Then get out the door feeling refreshed and rejuvenated!
Originally published on Peaceful Dumpling