Rules, as we know, are meant to be broken. No white after labor day no longer applies to clothing, so why not apply it to food as well? I’m not usually a pasta girl, but when vata season sets in I start to get major carb cravings. My go-to is usually grounding winter squash, but this savory and creamy vegan, gluten-free pasta dish not only satisfies on the level of culinary rebellion, but it’s also satisfying thanks to its deeply nourishing and grounding ingredients.
The pasta I used is made of chick peas (!), which means each serving is packed with a whopping 25 grams of protein. Tossed with a hearty helping of root vegetables, and a perfect-for-mixing almond yogurt, the dish is pretty much exactly what you want when nighttime starts to creep in earlier and earlier, and chillier and chillier—aka, vata season, which we’re in the throes of this time of year.
But don’t let its pale hue fool (or, if you’re a sun goddess, depress) you, for its complexion belies the meal’s vibrant, alphabet’s-worth of vitamins and minerals. The artichokes, celery root, and leeks–the humblest bunch of vegetables one could think of, all buried in their respective earthy homes until someone decides to pry them from the ground–are excellent sources of vitamins B, C, and K, which are important for immunity, blood, and mental health (hello holiday season!). Turning to this comfort food as the busiest time of year kicks in is thus a decision that will induce feeling grounded and whole from the inside out sans regrets–except maybe that you didn’t make more of it.
Vegan Gluten-Free “Rooted” Root Vegetable Pasta
- 8 oz. penne pasta or pasta of your choice, dry
- 2 medium celery roots outer skin removed and chopped into small cubes
- 1 can artichoke hearts quartered
- 3 leeks
- 1/3 cup almond yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Cut leeks in half and wash thoroughly, then cut the halves into thirds. Drain the artichoke hearts and dry them thoroughly. Arrange the leeks, artichokes, and celery root on two baking sheets and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat evenly, and roast for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are browning and crisped on the edges.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta: bring 6-8 cups of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until tender (around 7 minutes). Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Prepare the yogurt sauce: combine the yogurt, tahini, nutritional yeast, water, garlic, and mustard, and stir until creamy. Add more water if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- When the vegetables are finished, combine with pasta and top with sauce (adding reserved pasta water if you need to loosen things), coating evenly.
Originally published on Peaceful Dumpling
1 thought on “Gluten-Free Vegan Root Vegetable Pasta”
Comments are closed.